7.2.1. Storage battery
Fig. 7.4. Storage battery of the Mazda 6 car: 1–wire of the negative plug; 2–wire of the positive plug; 3–fastening arm; 4–storage battery; 5–bottom tray
The car considered in this management has the electric system working energized of 12 V.Massa of a body incorporates to the minus plug of the storage battery. The storage battery is in a motor compartment or under a back seat (models with the conditioner, and also some diesel updatings).
The storage battery carries out three main functions in electric system of the car:
– gives an electric current for engine start-up;
– stabilizes tension in electric system;
– can provide in a short space of time with a current when consumption of energy exceeds target capacity of the generator.
Tight storage batteries – standard for all cars. They on the case have no jellied jams. The storage battery is completely tight, not including two small lateral openings for ventilation. These ventilating openings allow to disappear to the formed gases.
Tight storage batteries have the following advantages over ordinary storage batteries:
– for durability of storage batteries it is not necessary to add waters;
– the battery is protected from a recharge. If too big tension is brought to the storage battery, it will not accept so much current, how many the ordinary battery. Increase of tension will continue to charge the ordinary battery that leads to a gazoobrazovaniye and electrolit loss;
– the battery can be recharged as well as usual. It is very important, when the car costs in one place long time;
– at the smaller sizes and weight, tension and a current remained former.
The storage battery has two indicators:
– the indicator of capacity of the storage battery is defined at 27 °C. The capacity at a full charging provides 10,5 In and more;
– the indicator of capacity of the storage battery at start-up of the cold engine is defined by testing at–18 °C. By means of this dough it is possible to establish battery capacity at a provorachivaniye of a cranked shaft on the cold engine.
The reserve capacity of the storage battery is defined as the greatest possible long time for movement in the night from the minimum electric loading without use of target capacity of the generator. Expressed in minutes, reserve capacity (or indicator Е) is necessary time for the full charged battery room of the battery at 27 °C and a discharge a current 25 And for achievement on tension plugs in 10,5 Century.
Service life of the storage battery is not boundless. Nevertheless, at appropriate leaving the storage battery will serve many years.
If the storage battery passed test well, but failures in work come to light, the following factors can be a cause of defect or refusal:
– any device was left included on all night long;
– the car moved to the short periods on small speed;
– electric loading of the car exceeded target capacity of the generator, is frequent with inclusion of the non-standard equipment;
– malfunction in charging system – sliding of a belt of the generator, malfunction of the generator or a tension and t regulator. д;
– battery misuse – not carrying out cleaning, the wrong fixing of plugs or weakening of clips;
– mechanical malfunctions of electric system – the short-circuited or jammed wires.
Tight storage batteries have the built-in areometer used for diagnostics.
Seen «the green point» means that the battery is ready to testing.
Color change «a green point» on more dark testifies that the battery is not ready to testing. In this case it is necessary to check electric systems and a charging.
Light yellow color means that level of liquid fell below an areometer tip. It can become the reason of an excessive or long charging or wear of the battery. If the battery cannot be recharged, replace it.